The cabinet should actually be moving to a different wall to make way for the piano that belonged to Izzy’s natural-born mother, who was a concert pianist but died when he was a toddler.
I’ll share more about our plans for this wall and the cabinet’s new locations another time. Right now I want to tell you about something specific in this photo that is staying right where it is.
I’ve always had a problem with what to do with items that need to leave the house — library books, items we’re giving or returning to friends or family or taking back to the store, etc.
- I don’t like them hidden away around the house until leaving-time because we forget. Always.
- I don’t want the clutter of them sitting on a table or cabinet for an indefinite time.
- For a while I put those items in the top right shelf of the white cabinet, since it’s near the door. Out of sight out of mind was the problem. Plus, not everything fit.
After trying and failing at each of these “solutions” I found a new solution in May and it’s actually working!
See that colorful tote bag next to the cabinet?
I LOVE THAT BAG!
The sad thing is I love it so much that I’m afraid to take it outside, even though it’s very sturdy and easy to wipe off. So I decided to put it out where others and myself can enjoy its vibrant beauty every day.
It holds all the items that are waiting to be carried out of the house and transported elsewhere.
Here’s why it’s been working:
- The stuff is visible from the top so I’m not forgetting about it.
- The stuff is not visible enough to register as clutter.
- The bag is big and I’ve been able to fit everything in it so far, even when it’s been lots of different items.
- The bag is gorgeous, so it’s an attractive solution.
- The bag is vibrant so it’s an attention-getter — which makes it an effective reminder to me that I have stuff to take care of.
- If I ever relax about it, I can even take the whole bag with me on errands where I’m taking the stuff.
- Items like this are an affordable way to support your favorite artist and also live with their art.
Have you found a different way to store the stuff without forgetting about it? Please share!
If you’ve been struggling like me, maybe there’s a gorgeous tote that will add color to your living room or entry way that you can pull out!